ResearchSpace is looking for a software deployment engineer, with prior experience in industry or academic contexts, to meet the increasing operational requirements of a growing company in the scientific research sector. Our RSpace Electronic Lab Notebook is used by academic and commercial scientists to securely store, share and access their research data. RSpace is deployed as a SaaS offering on the cloud and also on customer IT systems. As we acquire more on-premise customers, particularly universities and public research institutes, we require an operations engineer to install, configure and maintain RSpace for on-premise deployments. We envisage a 50:50 split between operational work and development work to automate and improve our operational practices.
ResearchSpace is a small, globally-dispersed, but tightly-knit team. You will have autonomy in organising your working day and significant responsibility for maintaining the smooth running of RSpace for our customers.
- Install and maintain RSpace for on-premises customers
Working with customer IT staff and our onboarding team, you will install and configure RSpace to work within their Linux environment, integrating with customer authentication mechanisms and data stores. RSpace is highly customisable, with integrations with many 3rd party vendors; these require bespoke configuration. Subsequent to installation you will monitor usage, recommend scaling solutions and perform OS, license and software upgrades.
- Backup / disaster recovery
Maintain, test and enhance our operational procedures for both SaaS and on-prem deployments.
- Maintain, update and secure company IT resources
Essential technical skills
- Strong Linux admin skills on Debian / Ubuntu. Familiarity with RHEL.
- Everything to do with setting up and running web applications: DNS, SSL, Apache web server, HTTP protocols etc.
- Expertise with enterprise authentication systems such as LDAP, ActiveDirectory, SAML2
- Enterprise file management and storage systems and protocols such as Samba, SFTP
Desirable technical skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience with cloud services such as AWS (preferred) or Azure
- Experience with collecting and monitoring runtime logs and server state using any monitoring tool such as DataDog, Splunk etc
- MySQL admin and performance tuning.
- Familiarity with Version Control (specifically, Git / Github).
- Experience with working with Java-based web apps and Tomcat server
- Running Docker containers in production
- Working in or dealing with university IT environments
- Highly articulate and literate in explaining complex solutions to a variety of stakeholders.
- Courtesy and patience in dealing with on-prem customer IT staff.
- An enquiring mind into seeking causes of defects, with the resolve and ingenuity to fix better.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload, managing on-call/responsive work with project work.
- Following the latest devops practices and technical developments.
Degree level education, in a Computer Science or IT-related course, or equivalent professional experience.
We understand you have a life outside work and we will respect your non-working and family time.
- Competitive salary based on experience and skills
- Fully remote role in a fully remote company, indefinitely
- Be part of a fast-growing startup and create an impact
If you are interested, please apply to Dr Richard Adams at email@example.com quoting ref OPS-2 with your CV and a short covering letter explaining why you’d like to join us and how you can contribute.