ResearchSpace is looking for an operations engineer, with prior industry experience, to meet the increasing operational requirements of a growing company in the scientific research sector. Our RSpace Electronic Lab Notebook is used by commercial and academic scientists to securely store, share and access their research data. RSpace is deployed as a SaaS offering on the cloud and also on customer IT systems.
As we acquire more customers, we are looking to automate and streamline many of our deployment, monitoring and maintenance processes. We envisage a 50-50 time split between hands-on operations /sysadmin tasks and devops projects to improve our processes.
ResearchSpace is a small, globally-dispersed, but tightly-knit team. You will have autonomy in organising your working day and significant responsibility for maintaining the smooth running of RSpace for our customers.
- Install and maintain RSpace for on-prem customers
Working with customer IT staff and our onboarding team, you will install and configure RSpace to work within their environment, integrating with customer SSO mechanisms and data stores. RSpace is highly customisable, with integrations with many 3rd party vendors; these require bespoke configuration. Subsequent to installation you will monitor usage, recommend scaling solutions and perform OS, license and software upgrades.
- Developing our SaaS offering on AWS
There is significant scope for improvement in setting up for new SaaS customers, including automated deployment and multitenancy. Working with the development team you will seek to improve the deployment process.
- Backup /disaster recovery
Maintain, test and enhance our operational procedures for both SaaS and on-prem deployments.
- Maintain, update and secure all company and customer AWS resources
Essential technical skills
- Strong Linux admin skills on Debian / Ubuntu. Familiarity with RHEL.
- Everything to do with setting up and running web applications: DNS, SSL, Apache web server, HTTP protocols etc.
- AWS core services EC2, EBS, S3, IAM, ALB, VPC/networking using both console and CLI.
Desirable technical skills and knowledge
- Docker / Kubernetes. As RSpace architecture becomes more complicated, we view containerization as vital to simplify on-prem deployments.
- Experience in other AWS services such as Lambda, CloudWatch and RDS.
- Experience with collecting and monitoring runtime logs and server state using any monitoring tool such as DataDog, Splunk etc
- CI/CD – specifically Jenkins (including Pipeline).
- MySQL admin and performance tuning.
- Familiarity with Version Control (specifically, Git / Github).
- Familiarity with Azure core services
- Highly articulate and literate in explaining complex solutions to a variety of stakeholders.
- Courtesy and patience in dealing with on-prem customer IT staff.
- An enquiring mind into seeking causes of defects, with the resolve and ingenuity to fix better.
- Ability to organise and prioritise workload, managing on-call/responsive work with project work.
- Following the latest devops practices and technical developments.
We understand you have a life outside work and we will respect your non-working and family time.
- Competitive salary based on experience and skills
- Fully remote role in a fully remote company, indefinitely
- Be part of a fast-growing startup and create an impact
If interested, please email firstname.lastname@example.org quoting ref OPS2 with your CV and a short covering letter explaining why you’d like to join us and how you can contribute.