The Gallery is a facility to organise and easily access files and documents for use in your RSpace documents and notebooks, such as sound files, images, video files, spreadsheets and PDFs. These resources are uploaded to the Gallery once, but can be linked to many times in your documents once in the Gallery. The Gallery is also a repository for re-usable content you create, such as Templates and Snippets.
The Gallery can be accessed either from the Gallery tab on the main Workspace toolbar or from the editor menu of a text field while editing (see Document editor section). Generally speaking, you access the Gallery from its tab to import and organise files, and call it up while editing a document in order to place files into their document.
Files placed in the Gallery are organised by file-type into separate named Galleries, which are accessed either from the ‘Choose Gallery’ drop-down menu, or from the quick-access icons in the bar down the left side of the Gallery display. The central box in the display shows the contents of the currently selected Gallery, shown as file type icons. The right side of the display is for further information about selected files, which is loaded when you click the Get Info icon above the file name.
- Content can be uploaded to the Gallery either from your computer or from a URL using the Import button in the Gallery toolbar, or dragged-and-dropped directly into the main Gallery display area. Imported files will be sorted by type to the appropriate Gallery.
- Deletion of media from the Gallery does not remove it from the database, so existing documents that link to the media can still access that media. Deletion merely hides a media file, preventing its subsequent use.
- Attachments or media that are inserted directly into a document (via the ‘Import from…’ mechanism or by drag and drop) will immediately appear in the document, but will also will also be added to the Gallery in the appropriate tab for their file type, and be available for use in other documents.
The screenshot above shows the Image Gallery, which is the first gallery in the list and displays by default when opening the Gallery. In the screenshot, an image file has been selected, so its operations menu is visible above the gallery space, and its Info icon has been clicked placing information about the file in the File Info panel. All files and folders have such an Info icon. Captions can be added to the FileInfo panel. This text is searchable from the main Workspace search bar.
- Folders can be created to organise media content.
- Breadcrumb links are displayed for moving within a folder structure.
- Media can be moved between folders by Drag-and-Drop.
- Media can be sorted by various criteria in the secondary toolbar.
- Media are organised by type into the appropriate section of the Gallery.
- Video files can be uploaded (will be stored in the ‘Video’ tab) and inserted into documents. Depending on your browser / OS setup, videos can either be played in view or edit mode, or downloaded to your machine for playing locally.
- Selecting a checkbox for one or more media files reveals a menu with operations such as rename, copy, delete and rotate (for images). These work in a similar way to the operations in the Workspace.
- Clicking the information icon shows more detailed information about the resource, and allows searchable captions to be added to the resource. These captions can also be edited from links to Gallery items made in Notebook entries (only the owner of the attachment can add or edit captions)
- Office/Open Office documents can be previewed in the Gallery pane by clicking on them. The preview supports navigation through an entire document/ spreadsheet /slideshow.
- You can filter the files displayed in the Gallery by use of the search bar. This accepts any name or part-name, so you can filter by file suffix – ‘doc’ for example.