Files can be exported from RSpace in one of a choice of export formats which are presented in a pop-up dialog when you choose to export selected work from the Workspace or to Export All from My RSpace. The available formats are each suited to a particular intended use of the exported files: a Zip file containing HTML is the ideal choice if you are wanting to view, edit and otherwise work with your content outside of RSpace; a Zip file containing XML is best suited to content which is likely to be exported to a repository or archive, re-imported back into your RSpace instance or transferred between RSpace instances; a PDF is ideal to compile together work in a viewable but non-editable file. Further configuration options complete the export process and the resulting files are made available to download or store.
One or more documents or folders can be exported as a PDF, and you can configure the way the pages and sections of the PDF are constructed.
- To do this, select one or more documents or folders, then click ‘Export’. After choosing the PDF option, you can configure your PDF contents via the ensuing dialog, and can optionally choose a name for your PDF export.
- When multiple documents are selected for export they are fused together into one single PDF.
- If you choose more than one document to export, then PDF generation occurs asynchronously; a link to the generated PDF will appear in the ‘PDFs’ section of the ‘Galleries’ tab. To view the PDF, click on the thumbnail. Single documents can be exported ‘on-the-fly’.
HTML makes a self-contained text-based export of content, for future editing outside of RSpace, sharing with collaborators, or archiving.
- To do this, select one or more documents or folders, then click ‘Export’. After choosing the HTML option, you can choose whether you want to include linked documents in the export.
- After submitting the export request, RSpace schedules the export and notifies you when it’s ready.
- In the notification, there is a link to download the HTML export as a zip file.
- Download and extract the zip archive, and then open the file ‘index.html’ in your browser. You can now navigate content offline.
XML export exports information in a format best suited for future export to a repository or archive re-import back into RSpace. Usually, this will be a format that is more useful for archivists or administrators rather than end-users.
- To export to XML, select one or more documents or folders, then click ‘Export’. After choosing the XML option, you can choose whether you want to include linked documents in the export. Also, you can optionally include the entire revision history of the documents to export
- After submitting the export request, RSpace will schedule the export and notify you when it’s ready.
- In the notification, there is a link to download the XML export as a zip file.
- After downloading and extracting the zip archive, you can inspect the contents – these will be in a computer-readable XML format