RSpace Enterprise is the on-premises deployment version of the RSpace electronic lab notebook. This guide will take you from an initial introduction to the system and its capabilities, through document creation and on to file sharing, working in groups and on to exporting and archiving your work.
If you are familiar with RSpace from the Community version, some functionality will be broadly similar, but certain key areas are profoundly different, such as sharing documents and the creation of groups. Feel free to use the menus to the right to find any topics of interest. If you are new to RSpace, fear not – we shall start at the beginning.
Your main point of entry and centre of operations within RSpace is the Workspace, which is what you will see once you log in. The Workspace has a main toolbar for working with your documents and a table beneath to display your files and folders. Above the toolbar to the right are tabs to take you to the other main areas of the application.
The toolbar buttons are focused on the main tasks you can choose to do here: a Create button to make new documents and folders, a View button to change how the files and folders are displayed, a Message icon to instantly message other users and a search mechanism to search for files, documents and content. There are a series of filter and display buttons which can be used to change what is being displayed in the workspace table. There is a toggle button to move between a folder-based view which shows your files in a folder hierarchy and a flat view of all your files arranged simply by recency of access. The filter buttons can be selected to create filtered subsets of your documents, limiting by if shared with you or if marked by you as a favourite, and can be used in conjunction with the search mechanism for more granular selections to display.
The main features of the Workspace listings table are as follows:
- The folder view is specific for each individual – you can move documents and folders around without affecting anyone else’s view.
- By default, documents that you create are initially private to you and your PI.
- If you are a member of a group, you can share documents with that group, or cloud users can share with any individuals as well as within groups. These documents will appear in the ‘Shared’ folder of other users as an alias to the original document.
- The Shared folder is currently ‘fixed’ – i.e., it cannot be renamed, moved, or deleted. This is because this folder is used by the system to hold shared content. This system is not set in stone and can be re-organised, depending on feedback.
- The search box can be used to filter the list of documents that are displayed:
- Full text search over documents
- Tag search
- By document name
- Document form type
- Modification dates
- Examples contains some sample content demonstrating the type of content RSpace can hold.
- Shared is where content that people share with you is initially placed – this will probably be empty to begin with.
Your folders, notebooks and documents appear in this table in the Workspace view. Clicking on on one or more ‘Options’ checkboxes beside documents in the table activates a secondary toolbar with various available operations, which are reviewed later along with further Workspace detail.
When you log in, several documents have been created programmatically by the system to give you something to start working with. These are located in the Examples folder. You can create new folders and new content via the ‘Create’ menu button.